Welcome!

Taking a look at books, movies, music, video games, and the life of a nerd, one step at a time.

Monday, September 24, 2012

From The Heart

A Salute To Our Soldiers
 
I see you standing among them all,
Standing so strong, proud and tall.
The world looks at you, but does not see
Everything you sacrifice to keep us free.
 
I'm here to say, to let you know
That you are loved, even if it doesn't show.
You fight for our hopes, dreams, and liberty.
You fight for our freedom....a hero to be.
 
I want you to know, you're never alone
For we are waiting for you to come home. 
But the hardest thing for a person to be
Is you.. a solider,
Fighting to keep us free.
 
Thank you.  Those two little words are not hardly enough, but the meaning and feelings behind it are real.  I thank you.  I thank all of you who are military.  I thank any and all of those who are serving our country, but not just them.  I want to thank all the military families out there as well. 
 
I have a very deep appreciation for the military.  My mom teases me because she says I have an "army obsession".  It's true.  I do.  I don't know why that is or how it came about, but it's there. 
The only person I have currently serving in the military is my cousin in the Air Force.  I have family that used to be serving in the military.  People think it's strange that I'm so big in to the military even though there is no one in my immediate family enlisted right now.  It's not strange though.  Not hardly.
 
Our military deserves so much more support and appreciation than they receive.  They deserve everything, yet they don't receive hardly anything.  They deserve to know that they are appreciated.  These people deserve to know that we are grateful.  These people deserve to know that they are heroes, they are my heroes.  These amazing people deserve to know that they are loved, not only by their families but by this country, by me. 
 
These people inspire me.  They are so selfless in the sense that they give everything for this country and its people.  So in turn, they are giving everything for me.  They are giving everything for you.  How can you not be grateful for that?  If everyone took just a minute out of their busy schedules to think about it, I think they would be thankful too. 
 
I'm no saint.  I will admit to allowing myself to think that my trivial problems are more important than others.  I allow myself to forget that there are people out there who don't have access to all of the simple things that I take for granted.  I allow myself to forget that there are people out there, serving this country, who don't get to see their families.  I allow myself to forget that there are people out there who might not make it back, just so we can live life the way we do.  I feel sick with myself when I realize this.  I feel sick realizing that I had the nerve to think like that.  If you're military or you're a military family and reading this, let me be the first to apologize for being so selfish and allowing myself to forget. 
 
Thank you to all of you serving in our military, no matter what branch you are.  I thank you from the very bottom of my heart.  I don't think I can express how deeply I appreciate you and what it is that you do.  You are the reason that I am able to be who I am.  You are the reason that I live the way I do.  Free.  I am eternally in your debt.  I'm so proud to be able to say that all the service men and women are my heroes and my inspirations.  I know that there isn't really all that much I can do, but maybe someone out there that is serving our country will read this.  Then they will know that someone out there does care, that someone out there does appreciate them and everything they are doing and sacrificing. 
 
I don't want to thank just our service men and women though.  I want to thank those that are just as important, but aren't always thought of or appreciated.  I want to thank their families. 
 
Military families are heroes in their own right.  They have to deal with and go through so much.  No one bothers to think of them and what it is like for them to have to go through this.  No one bothers to think what it is like for them to have to deal with a beloved member of their family gone all the time.  Military spouses and military kids have to put up with so much.  I thank them for all that they do and all that they give.  I thank them for being amazing people. 
 
I have gotten to know a military family, and all I can say is that they are some of the most amazing people I have ever met.    He is enlisted in the army.  I don't think I've ever told him because I couldn't find the words, but I'm so thankful for him and what he does.  He's a really awesome person, like a really cool guy.  I'm honored to be able to know him in his family.  As for his family, his wife is an amazing woman.  She does so much for her family.  She is truly an amazing woman.  I thank her for everything she does, but not just that.  I want to thank her for being so sweet to me and my family.  As I've told you guys in previous posts, I'm kind of a shy person.  I have a hard time opening up to people and speaking to them.  Somehow at some point I opened up and began speaking.  I have come to really enjoy talking to her and her husband.  They are both such kind and amazing people. She's always so nice to me and always happy to talk to me, and that means a lot to me.  Well, at least I think so anyways, sometimes I think people don't mind talking to me but they do.  I'm pretty sure anyways.   I really can't express what amazing people these are.  I want to thank her for everything she does and goes through.  She's really an incredible woman.  I don't know how she manages with the crazy schedules she has to deal with and everything else on top of that.  She manages it beautifully though, and on top of that, she's just a really amazing person.  She's actually the reason I decided to write this.  The other day it really hit me all the things that she has to do and put up with.  The fact that she handles it so incredibly is something she should be thanked for and appreciated for.  I'm thanking her.  She, as well as her husband, are some of the most fantastic people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.  They are some of the most fantastic people I have ever met.  They also have four kids.  Their kids are some of the most well-behaved, respectful kids.  I've never really met their eldest child, but I'm sure that he is just as respectful.  Their two middle children are right around my age.  I've never really spoken to them before.  I'd really like to, but like I said, I have a hard time talking to people for the first time and my shyness always gets the best of me and I get nervous and can't do it.  Maybe one day I'll finally be able to.  Both of them seem like really amazing, genuinely good people.  As for the youngest child, the manners that child has are impeccable.  She is so sweet and such a funny, good mannered kid.  All of them, all of their personalities, are amazing.  I thank them all for all that they have to go through, and I hope that they all feel appreciated as well.  I don't know if this will seem like much to them, even if they read it, but I hope that it at least lets them know that I appreciate them and that I think so highly of them.  I really am so grateful that there are people like that in this country.  These people are the people that I can't even begin to express my gratitude for, no matter how hard I try.
 
If you're reading this and you're military or a part of a military family, I thank you.  I thank each and every one of you.  This post doesn't even begin to express how thankful and appreciative I am.  It's something I have a hard time putting in to words, but I think I did my best.  If you're reading this and you aren't military or you have no one in your family who is military, then I hope that you're thankful too.  Thank you.  Thank you so much.  I thank you from the very bottom of my heart.  I'm so grateful that I can live in a nation where there are people like our military and their families.  I'm so grateful that  I can live in a nation where my heroes can be normal people, not celebrities or movie stars.
 
                                                                THANK YOU.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment